Do you think there are any benefits of sending the employees for training?
Today, businesses have come to realize that it pays to get the employees trained in the necessary skills, so that they are more productive. Employee training is no longer seen as a cost, but it is taken as a investment in the company’s future.
Here are the top benefits of why you should send your employees for training.
1. Improved Productivity: Trained staff is more motivated to use the skills learned at the training. The improved skills help them to complete tasks faster, better, and with less mistakes. This helps to improve the productivity, efficiency and gains in time.
2. Lower Staff Turnover: A staff that sees the company investing in their training is generally a happier employee. He or she sees that the company and its management care about him/her. Thus, they feel happier, safer, secure. Because of training opportunities, many people stay on their jobs. As long as companies send people for training, the employees feel that they won’t be axed or retrenched, as the company is spending time and money to get them educated. Further, a happier staff is less likely to leave the company
3. Training is a way to Retain Employees: Today, many employees join the company only when they see a career path. They will ask during the interviews what trainings are available, and what are the HR policies regarding trainings – how many training days per year, can they choose a training of their own etc. You are most likely to get good candidates applying for the jobs if you can offer them great development opportunities.
4. Add Flexibility to Your Operations: When employees are trained in multiple skills, it adds much more flexibility to your operations. You can freely move people to different functions, and are not crippled when a critical resource decides to walk off from the job with little notice. Further, multi-skilled resources love the opportunity to work in a different area, and are able to show off their skills. This way the boredom of a standard, routine job is removed, and it helps to add value to the company as well as the employees.
5. Investing in Education shows a Forward Looking Company: Remember that a company is nothing without its people. You need to look for ways to add value to the employees. Your company is only as good as its employees. If the employees do not go the extra mile, do not help the customers, and do not care about the company or its clients, then your company’s future is going to be short lived.
6. Tap on Training Grants: With the multiple benefits of training, there are many government schemes that you can tap on, to supplement the cost of sending employees for training. Win with training grants that provide you cash incentives, cash backs, and rebates in income tax. Such schemes by WDA of Singapore, IRAS, and SPRING are innovative, and save the cost of the training for business.
There are multiple benefits in investing in employee education, stay relevant, stay competitive, and stay ahead with continuous education. Do not treat education as a one time affair. It is a continuous affair, and will bring you continuous benefits.
Vinai Prakash, Founder & CEO of Intellisoft Training Pte. Ltd.